Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I have been trying to find a granola recipe that doesn't turn into a crumbly mess for a while now. All of the bars in the stores either contain icky ingredients or are prohibitively expensive, but I like having a quick grab-and-go snack around the house. After much frustration, I finally hit upon the magic phrase "cookie bar" & my quest took an unexpected turn for the better. Most recipes for what are called "cookie bars" don't contain any more sugar than those labelled as granola bars, but they sure hold together a lot better! This one (like many if those labelled as granola bars) is a bit heavy on the sugar, but I always like to cook a recipe exactly as it says the first time & make adjustments later. I will definitely be making this one again & I plan to try eliminating the white sugar to cut back on the total amount.

At any rate, I wrapped the squares in wax paper and have been sending them as an extra whole-grain treat in the kids' lunches. The recipe follows the picture:



Chocolate Chip "Cookie Bars"

1/2 cup canola oil
1cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips*
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut**

*After stating that I never alter a recipe the first time, I just remembered that I used a bit less chocolate chips and . . .

**I replaced the coconut with the health-foodie version of rice krispies because my daughter hates coconut :-p

It's getting cooler here in Okieville, perfect for baking, curling up in front of the wood stove (which will be installed Friday) & snuggling. Speaking of which, here is my new snuggle partner:





Not a bad little sweetie to spend a cozy evening with!

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment