Monday, August 29, 2011

Refrigerator Pickles

After a disappointing Oklahoma gardening season, I am finally at least seeing some cucumbers and melons. I don't yet have enough cukes at once to can a batch of pickles for long-term storage, but I am storing away small batches of refrigerator pickles that will keep around 2 months in the fridge.

After disastrous results with an online recipe last year, I did a bit more homework this time around. I was surprised to discover that the amount to salt called for in various recipes can vary (with similar amounts of liquid) from 1 tablespoon to 1 cup. After comparing various recipes and using some common sense, I cobbled this one together and am pleased with the results. It's perfect for doing a single to several pint jar(s) at a time.

Although I am still hoping to get some water-bath canning accomplished, this method definitely accommodates my working-mama schedule nicely!

2 c. Water
1/3 c. Distilled Vinegar
1tbsp. Pickling Salt
1/2 tsp. White Sugar
1 tsp.-1 tbsp. Chopped Garlic
small sliced onion
sliced cucumbers to fill a quart jar

Boil the water, vinegar, salt, & sugar together while chopping the onion, dicing the garlic, & slicing the cucumber. Add chopped veggies to the bottom of the jar rim & sprinkle with the desired amount if dill. Pour the boiling mixture over to cover. Put lid on the jar & turn upside-down a few times to mix. Allow to cool on the counter, then refrigerate for up to 2 months. Makes 1 quart jar.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment